Christopher Kelly on “Engineering” Optimal Human Performance
Today, we’re joined by Christopher Kelly, software engineer and pro cross country mountain biker by day, and host of the Nourish Balance Thrive podcast, certified Functional Diagnostic Nutrition practitioner, health coach, and all around fitness buff by night.
Recently, I had the opportunity to appear on Chris’ show, and I so enjoyed chatting with him that we agreed to do a follow up conversation here on our show. I wanted to learn how Chris became so interested in nutrition, what he learned through his certification, and hear some of the best stuff he’s learned by doing over 150 episodes.
In this episode, we talk about a LOT of different things, from autoimmune isolation diets, to health optimization, to immunity, to accelerated learning, blood glucose, diabetes, cold exposure, and a heck of a lot more. Christopher has so much knowledge to share that I couldn’t help but jump around and cover a lot of ground – so I do apologize if it feels a bit like I’m all over the place. All in all, It’s a phenomenally interesting and engaging episode with lots of exciting information, and I think you’re really going to enjoy it!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Christopher Kelly, what does he do, and how’d he get into it?
- A discussion of Chris’ former health issues, and what caused them?
- How did an elimination diet change Christopher Kelly’s life? How is it done?
- What is Christopher doing with his clients, and how is it different from other approaches?
- What are some of the more surprising or unusual things that Christopher has learned in his career?
- How much more complicated is it than simply “No sugar, no grains?”
- A fascinating discussion of “social isolation” and how it influences our immune systems
- How does Christopher Kelly learn so much so quickly?
- How can you “hack” your focus to pay attention to even boring materials?
- What other performance improvements does Christopher Kelly use?
- What is the “photo period,” and how can you use it to enhance performance?
- What’s the big deal with blood glucose, and why is it gaining so much attention?
- What’s the ideal blood glucose number?
- Christopher corrects a big misunderstanding that I and many others have had about body fat
- Does eating fat make you fat? (The answer is more complicated than you think)
- What are the “just tell me what to do” guidelines for improved health?
- Are there any other products or services that Christopher Kelly recommends for health optimization?
- How do you know if Nourish Balance Thrive is a good fit for you?
- A discussion of mindfulness and a homework assignment
- What made my interview with Chris so good? 😉
- What is the #1 takeaway Christopher Kelly would like you to remember?
- An interesting story about Angry Birds, and life experience vs. analysis
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Nourish Balance Thrive, Chris’ podcast & clinic
- My interview on Christopher’s Nourish Balance Thrive Podcast (if it’s out)
- The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
- Our previous episode with Robb Wolf
- The Kalish Institute
- Our Become a SuperLearner MasterClass
- The Precision Xtra Blood Glucose Monitor
- Counter Clockwise by Ellen Langer
- Shhh! Sound Health in 8 Steps (TED Talk)