Jimmy Moore on Ketogenic Dieting, Living Low Carb, & How to Lose 180lbs
Today, we’re joined by Jimmy Moore, the blogger and author behind the Livin’ La Vida Low Carb Blog. Not only is the the author of about half a dozen books on ketogenic dieting… he also has an incredible story.
12 years ago, at 32 years of age, Jimmy weighed in at an alarming 410 pounds, and he knew something had to change.
In this episode, we’re going to learn how he dropped over 50% of his body weight, creating health and happiness in his own life, and inspiring tens of thousands of others to do the same.
I really enjoyed getting into some of the nitty-gritty details and science behind ketogenesis with Jimmy, and we throw out a lot of scientific terms you may or may not be familiar with. All in all, however, the conversation is really easy to follow, and whether you know about “keto” dieting or not, you’re going to learn a ton.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Jimmy Moore’s background, and how he rose over 400lbs
- How Jimmy lost 180lbs in a year – and changed the rest of his life, too
- Jimmy’s journey to becoming one of the first and top health podcasters
- What is The Atkin’s Diet and how does it differ from others?
- What is a “ketogenic” diet and what are “ketones?”
- How is a high-fat diet more effective at making you feel full?
- What does the research show about ketogenic diets – and why is or isn’t it valid?
- Why is the assertion that red meat causes cancer probably false?
- How much ketosis is too much? What is the “sweet spot?”
- How effective are the home ketone tests, and how do they work?
- What are beta-hydroxy butyrate and acetone – and why should you care?
- Why should you test your level of ketosis?
- What does it feel like to be in ketosis?
- How Jimmy fasted for 28 days before our interview(!!!)
- Why should you consider fasting for as long as 5 to 7 days?
- Does Jimmy eat fruit? Why or why not?
- Where does Jimmy get his vitamins and micronutrients? (surprising!)
- Where does Jimmy disagree with the greats like Robb Wolf?
- How should you get started with keto and fasting?
- How is protein “recycled” in the body and how does it benefit us?
- What percent of calories does Jimmy get from fats vs. carbs?
- What would a $500 “keto quick-start kit” look like?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Jimmy’s interview on Robb Wolf’s Paleo Solution Podcast
- Our previous episode with Robb Wolf
- The New Diet Revolution by Dr. Atkins
- Mark Sisson and his blog, Mark’s Daily Apple
- Jimmy’s books: Cholesterol Clarity, Keto Clarity, and The Ketogenic Cookbook
- Our episode with Dr. Joel Fuhrman (not yet released)
- Nutrition Science Initiatives, an organization by Dr. Peter Attia and Gary Taubes
- Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
- The China Study by T. Colin Campbell
- Keto sticks ketone testing strips
- Precision Extra ketone testing equipment by Abbott
- The Freestyle Neo ketone testing device by Abbott
- Jimmy Moore’s Periscope video on ketone testing
- Ketonix ketone testing monitor
- MCT Oil Powder by Quest Nutrition (I love this stuff)
- Beta-hydroxy butyrate salt supplements, an exogenous source of ketones
- Cordicyeps Mushroom Supplements
- Coconut Oil
- Kerry Gold Butter
- The PaleoFX Conference
- Jimmy’s blog and podcast, Livin’ La Vida Low Carb